Expanded text ads (ETAs) are a type of paid search ad that allows advertisers to include more information about their product or service in their ad copy. They were introduced by Google in 2016 as a replacement for the standard text ad format, which had been in use since the early days of paid search advertising.
ETAs are designed to be more visually appealing and informative for users, with a larger character count and the ability to include up to three headlines and two descriptions. This allows advertisers to highlight the key features and benefits of their product or service, and give users a better understanding of what they can expect from the advertised offering.
Features of Expanded Text Ads
ETAs have several key features that set them apart from standard text ads:
- Larger character count: ETAs have a character limit of up to 90 characters for each headline, and up to 180 characters for the description. This is significantly more than the 25-character headline and 35-character description limits of standard text ads.
- Multiple headlines: ETAs allow advertisers to include up to three headlines, separated by a hyphen. This allows advertisers to highlight different aspects of their product or service, and increase the chances of catching a user’s attention.
- Two descriptions: ETAs also include two descriptions, each with a character limit of up to 90 characters. This allows advertisers to provide more information about their product or service, and help users make an informed decision about whether to click on the ad.
Benefits of Using Expanded Text Ads
ETAs offer several benefits for advertisers, including:
- Increased visibility: ETAs take up more space on the search results page, making them more noticeable to users. This can help increase the chances of users clicking on the ad, and ultimately result in more conversions for the advertiser.
- Greater flexibility: The larger character count and multiple headlines of ETAs allow advertisers to be more creative and flexible in their ad copy. This can help them better communicate the value of their product or service to users, and increase the effectiveness of their ad campaign.
- Improved performance: ETAs have been shown to outperform standard text ads in terms of click-through rate (CTR) and conversion rate. This can lead to a better return on investment (ROI) for advertisers, and help drive more business through their website or landing page.
Supercharge Ad Performance
Unlock more leads and higher ROI with industry-leading efficiency tools. Sign up now for a 14-day free demo.
Best Practices for Using Expanded Text Ads
To get the most out of ETAs, it’s important to follow best practices when creating and targeting them:
- Make use of the full character count: ETAs give you the opportunity to provide more information about your product or service, so make sure to take advantage of this. Use the full character count for each headline and description, and make sure to highlight the key features and benefits of your offering.
- Use relevant keywords: As with any paid search ad, it’s important to include relevant keywords in your ETA copy. This will help ensure that your ad is shown to users who are actively searching for products or services like yours.
- Test different ad copy: It’s always a good idea to test different versions of your ad copy to see which performs best. This can help you identify the most effective messaging and targeting strategies for your ETA campaign.
- Use the right targeting options: ETAs give you the ability to target your ads to specific locations, devices, and language preferences. Make sure to use these targeting options to reach the right audience for your product or service.
Examples of Expanded Text Ads
Here are a few examples of ETAs in action:
- Get the Best Deals on Flights
- Find the Cheapest Fares Online
- Save Money on Your Next Trip
- Compare prices from top airlines and travel agencies
- Book directly from our website for the best prices
- 24/7 customer support to help you plan your trip
In this example, the advertiser is promoting a flight booking website. The three headlines highlight the key benefits of using the website (finding the best deals and saving money on flights) and the two descriptions provide more information about the features of the website (comparing prices from different sources and offering customer support).
- Get Fit and Stay Healthy
- High-Quality Exercise Equipment
- Free Shipping on All Orders
- Wide selection of home gym equipment
- Expert advice and support from our team
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
In this example, the advertiser is promoting a retailer of exercise equipment. The headlines highlight the benefits of using their products (getting fit and staying healthy) and the free shipping offer, while the descriptions provide more information about the wide selection of products available and the support and satisfaction guarantee offered by the company.
What are the character limits for ETAs?
The character limits for ETAs are up to 90 characters for each headline, and up to 180 characters for the description.
Can I use ETAs on all devices?
ETAs are supported on all devices, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
Can I use ETAs in all languages?
ETAs are available in all languages supported by Google Ads.
How do I create an ETA?
To create an ETA, you will need to use a tool such as Google Ads or a third-party ad management platform. These tools will allow you to create and manage your ETA campaign, including setting your budget, targeting options, and ad copy.