A lookalike audience is a type of target audience that is created based on the characteristics and behaviour of an existing audience. This audience is created through the use of data analysis and machine learning algorithms, which identify common characteristics among the existing audience and use these characteristics to find new individuals who are likely to exhibit similar behaviours.
How Lookalike Audiences Work
Lookalike audiences are typically created through the use of data from customer relationship management (CRM) systems, social media platforms, or other sources of customer data. This data is used to identify common characteristics and behaviours among the existing audience, such as demographics, interests, and purchasing patterns.
Once these common characteristics have been identified, a machine learning algorithm is used to find new individuals who are likely to exhibit similar behaviours. This can be done by analyzing the online activity of these individuals, including their browsing history, social media activity, and other relevant data points.
Benefits of Using Lookalike Audiences
There are several benefits to using lookalike audiences in pay-per-click (PPC) advertising campaigns:
- More targeted marketing: Lookalike audiences allow advertisers to target their marketing efforts more effectively, as they are able to reach individuals who are similar to their existing audience. This can help to improve the relevance and effectiveness of marketing efforts, leading to higher conversion rates and better return on investment (ROI).
- Lower cost per acquisition: Because lookalike audiences are more targeted, they can often be acquired at a lower cost per acquisition than broader, less targeted audiences. This can help to lower the overall cost of a PPC campaign, while still achieving good results.
- Efficient scaling: Lookalike audiences can be used to scale a PPC campaign quickly and efficiently, as they allow advertisers to reach new individuals who are likely to be interested in their products or services. This can be particularly useful for companies that are looking to rapidly grow their customer base.
Supercharge Ad Performance
Unlock more leads and higher ROI with industry-leading efficiency tools. Sign up now for a 14-day free demo.
Best Practices for Using Lookalike Audiences
There are several best practices that PPC specialists should follow when using lookalike audiences:
- Start with a large, high-quality source audience: The quality of a lookalike audience is directly related to the quality of the source audience. Therefore, it is important to start with a large, high-quality source audience in order to create the best lookalike audience possible.
- Be specific about the characteristics to include: It is important to be specific about the characteristics that should be included in the lookalike audience. For example, if the source audience is interested in a specific product or service, the lookalike audience should also include individuals who are interested in this product or service.
- Test and optimise: As with any PPC campaign, it is important to test and optimise the lookalike audience in order to achieve the best results. This can be done through A/B testing, analyzing performance data, and making adjustments as needed.
Examples of Lookalike Audiences
Here are a few examples of lookalike audiences that could be created based on different source audiences:
- A B2B software company: A B2B software company could create a lookalike audience based on their current customer list. This lookalike audience could include individuals who work in similar industries, have similar job titles, or have similar interests.
- An e-commerce company: An e-commerce company could create a lookalike audience based on their current customer list. This lookalike audience could include individuals who have similar purchasing patterns, such as frequently buying certain types of products or making purchases at specific times of year.
- A travel agency: A travel agency could create a lookalike audience based on their current customer list. This lookalike audience could include individuals who have similar travel interests, such as a preference for certain destinations or types of vacations.
Frequently Asked Questions
How accurate are lookalike audiences?
Lookalike audiences are generally quite accurate, as they are based on data analysis and machine learning algorithms that can identify common characteristics and behaviours among individuals. However, the accuracy of a lookalike audience can vary depending on the quality of the source audience and the characteristics that are included in the lookalike audience.
Can lookalike audiences be used in any industry?
Lookalike audiences can be used in any industry where there is sufficient data available to create an audience based on common characteristics and behaviours. This includes industries such as e-commerce, B2B software, travel, and many others.
Can lookalike audiences be combined with other targeting methods?
Lookalike audiences can be combined with other targeting methods in order to create more targeted and effective PPC campaigns. For example, a lookalike audience could be combined with demographic or geographic targeting in order to reach a specific group of individuals.